Author Topic: [Famous or unknown musician?] I scored a 100  (Read 18929 times)

Jim

[Famous or unknown musician?] I scored a 100
« on: October 17, 2005, 08:31:51 PM »
I'm not a musician, but I enjoy going to concerts.  I thought it was quite clear which ones a better musician.  The better ones flow much more graceful and they are in sync.  There were abrupt movement by the lesser popular musicians, or they failed to play all the notes (#5).
I'm suprised the Masters of Music did not hear these things.
P.S. I don't mean to sound critical or pompus.

This post is about  Famous or unknown musician? quiz --admin

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
[Famous or unknown musician?] I scored a 100
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:51:34 AM »
Looking at the test results I do see one 100% score recorded ten minutes before the above posting. However, shortly before this a 67% score arrived from the same IP address.

Also some people, who got 100% on Mozart  or Salieri? quiz, scored less perfect on this one.

There is an interesting discussion of this isue in the Classical Music Guide Forum

Valerio

100%
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:43:22 PM »
I also got a 100, I also heard something wrong with #5 haha, I can't exactly tell how I could tell which one was the "unknown" but... you simply know it, all you have to do is to listen carefully...

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 100%
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 06:32:25 PM »
Quote from: "Valerio"
I also got a 100, I also heard something wrong with #5 haha, I can't exactly tell how I could tell which one was the "unknown" but... you simply know it, all you have to do is to listen carefully...

You got 100%, I confirm this after checking the test result database. (But not also: see my previous comment).

However, a 60% score on the Mozart or Salieri? quiz arrived 7 minutes earlier from the same IP address as the 100% score on the Famous or unknown Musician? quiz.

If one guesses at random -- the chance to answer all 6 questions of the Famous or unknown Musician? quiz correctly is 1 in 64.  As you can't even tell Mozart from Salieri, I conclude that you were just lucky.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
Quote from: "Mikhail Simkin"
Quote from: "Valerio"

You got 100%, I confirm this after checking the test result database. (But not also: see my previous comment).

However, a 60% score on the Mozart or Salieri? quiz arrived 7 minutes earlier from the same IP address as the 100% score on the Famous or unknown Musician? quiz.

If one guesses at random -- the chance to answer all 6 questions of the Famous or unknown Musician? quiz correctly is 1 in 64.  As you can't even tell Mozart from Salieri, I conclude that you were just lucky.

Bad conclusion.  One's ability to discern one long dead classical composer from another very similar and also long dead composer has nothing to do with one's ability to discern Famous orchestras from less famous orchestras.  Most people don't know anything about either composer.  It shouldn't be expected that anyone should be able to tell the difference.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
Quote from: "Chris"
Bad conclusion.  One's ability to discern one long dead classical composer from another very similar and also long dead composer has nothing to do with one's ability to discern Famous orchestras from less famous orchestras.  Most people don't know anything about either composer.  It shouldn't be expected that anyone should be able to tell the difference.

In the "Mozart or Salieri?" quiz the takers were asked to tell a boy-genius from an aging mediocricity. If one is unable to do this he surely has no musical taste.

Chris

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »
Quote from: "Mikhail Simkin"

In the "Mozart or Salieri?" quiz the takers were asked to tell a boy-genius from an aging mediocricity. If one is unable to do this he surely has no musical taste.

It's backwards, contorted pseudologic like this that is causing the problem.

You didn't respond to my point -- that there is no connection between the ability to tell one orchestra from another and the ability to tell one composer from another.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »
It's backwards, contorted pseudologic like this that is causing the problem.

You didn't respond to my point -- that there is no connection between the ability to tell one orchestra from another and the ability to tell one composer from another.

The consensus opinion of musical critics is that Mozart was a genius and Salieri - an envious mediocricity.  

"Mozart or Salieri?" quiz is easier than "Famous or unknown musician?".
People interested in music already heard all or most of the Mozart pieces used in the quiz and can recognize them. Many musicians even know every note Mozart wrote for the instrument they play.

szulecki

the 5th sample
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:37:43 PM »
I'd just like to slightly notice that the 5th mp3 sample by Horowitz was totally crushed up and i fell on that one, just cuz I couldn't hear anything. ;]
I got 83%.
The differences between performances were in many things, like time, small text mistakes or even in mastering.
I must admit that the most important thing in recognizing this was the quality of recording. That non-famous ones sounded horrible. :)

Except Horovitz of course which also sounded horrible but it was another reason probably, maybe the year of recording or smth.

Fine quiz. More like that.
Hugs.
Szulecki.

echibas

Infamous
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 01:26:44 PM »
I have never thought that Solti deserved any fame. It was a magnificent marketing job by Decca. Nothing more. Karajan's clip is not better than the other one either. The older musicians were greater in every sense. No problem with Horowitz, Toscanini or Reiner.

Marko

Oh I suck!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 02:36:52 PM »
Funny, #5 was the only one that I got right!  17%

That was a hard one, but I don't feel bad or ashamed that score, since I picked the performances that I liked the most.  Down with Solti and Van Cliburn, heh heh!  :wink:

Nbrand

33%
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »
I got a score of  33%
and I always voted for the one I liked better - but I have realised that I had the tendence to like the clip I listened to later better than the first one. So perhaps it's much psychology behind it, but it's funny because I would have guessed that one likes the version he heard first better than other ones.

:-D
Nayuta