Author Topic: great art quiz  (Read 33695 times)

artmeliana

great art quiz
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:57:19 AM »
I made 83% - having misidentified the Churchill - seems it was a common mistake.  But also got the Pissaro wrong!
Not too bad for an art history student who hasn't really been in the field since graduation.  The rest were easy.

Interesting to see Hitler's paintings.  I remember learning that they were very draughtsmanlike, detailed and lacking people.  There is a coldness about them indeed.

Churchill is really good, there was an Old Harrovian exhibition at Christie's London this week and his works were among them.  I got the invite, but got back from abroad too late to order tickets :(

This post is about  Famous or unknown artist? quiz --admin

Russ

Great art or not
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 10:24:02 AM »
Actually got 100% without knowing a whole lot about art.  So does that make me a great art connoisseur or just a lucky guesser?

Look forward to the next challenge.

Zarka

They ARE famous
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:19:41 PM »
Churchill, Eisenhower and Hitler were all famous. You should have included some of those people I see on the street. For example the velvet mirrors with images of Elvis, or some of the crap they put up on the walls in our conference rooms. I think this test more than all of the others was bogus.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: They ARE famous
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 08:18:41 PM »
Quote from: "Zarka"
Churchill, Eisenhower and Hitler were all famous ...
 I think this test more than all of the others was bogus.

Famous, but not as artists. Actually the Album with Hitler's paintings is titled
Adolf Hitler: The Unknown Artist

M. M. Moran

Who is an unknown artist?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
I got 42%.  I was very unhappy with your unknown artists of Churchill, Hitler, and Eisenhower.  They are three of the most famous people of WWII.  Who in the general public has ever seen enough of their paintings to be able to identify their style?

At the university, I was quite good at this, but that was years ago.  I think this contest was unfair.  Next time use "Joe Blow" and "John Doe".

Joel

Re: great art quiz
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »
I did pretty poorly on this quiz. (Philosophical question: If someone posts on a forum and no one reads it, did he ever really post?)

Well, if anyone is reading this, how about a similar quiz using abstract art (by famous and unfamous artists)?

Yeah, Hitler's work was creepy - those were the only ones I got all right.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 01:55:38 AM »
how about a similar quiz using abstract art (by famous and unfamous artists)?
Here: True art, or a fake?

Joel

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 02:07:46 AM »
Thanks (glad to see you're still inhabiting these boards) but I actually already checked that one out. I was thinking more a test that uses "true" examples of abstract art, but by famous and non-famous artists. In other words, exactly the same as the Hitler test, just with abstract art.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
I was thinking more a test that uses "true" examples of abstract art, but by famous and non-famous artists.
My drawing skills were sufficient to produce abstract painting. I did not have the need to look for something else.

Joel

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »
Well, here we have a clear testmaker's bias. Numerous respondents disagree that your work looked "true" (vs. fake) to the trained eye. I do too. The red crocodile-thingy on black looks kind of cool in its way (also a good icon for the site, though that's probably a dead giveaway that it's not real) but not for a second mistakable as abstract art (and this is from someone with no training, past a high school art class).

I really think you could garner interesting results from a "famous" vs. "non-famous" abstract art test. I'm not saying replace the one you have, but add another. Consider it different: rather than asking someone to judge if it's "fake" or not, ask them to judge if it's good.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »
The red crocodile-thingy on black looks kind of cool in its way (also a good icon for the site, though that's probably a dead giveaway that it's not real) but not for a second mistakable as abstract art
When I created the red devil I emailed the picture to my friend in Belgium and he wrote me that his co-workers were asking whether that was a Picasso or a Matisse. Many quiz takers refuse to believe that the picture is not a masterpiece even after the quiz  tells them so.

Joel

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
Well I wasn't  ;)

paulherman

• Self-portrait 2004, oils on gold ground on panel
    • View Profile
    • Paintings, murals and sculpture by Paul Herman
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 05:38:55 AM »
I managed to get them all right! But I admit I only scored 25% on the Faulkner quiz so this is not about bragging.  Though I recognised most of the famous painter's work & none of the unknown artists, I thought the colour mixes or brushstrokes made it clear which were the aficionados & which the professionals (the main difference being defined, I think, by the evident lack of practice). 

I am a new member & have enjoyed discovering this site (Mikhail: thanks'!)

Would you like to try the art quiz I made for my site?
I have called it the Art-Q quiz- here is the address: http://www.hermanstudios.com/quiz%202/quiz.html
Paul Herman

paulherman

• Self-portrait 2004, oils on gold ground on panel
    • View Profile
    • Paintings, murals and sculpture by Paul Herman
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:01:40 AM »
Churchill, Eisenhower and Hitler were all famous. You should have included some of those people I see on the street. For example the velvet mirrors with images of Elvis, or some of the crap they put up on the walls in our conference rooms. I think this test more than all of the others was bogus.

Famous, but not famous artists, was, I think, the point...
Paul Herman

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
I have called it the Art-Q quiz- here is the address: http://www.hermanstudios.com/quiz%202/quiz.html
The last page (http://www.hermanstudios.com/quiz%202/quizpg3.html ) is interesting. The preceding questions are not for Art-Q : they just test knowledge.