Author Topic: [painting contest]Which is worse?  (Read 15369 times)

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
[painting contest]Which is worse?
« on: February 04, 2006, 05:21:40 PM »
Here is a bad painting, submitted to this contest:

Amanikan Woman by Kelly Billette

and here are good paintings by the same artist:

http://www.artabyss.bz/

Any idea why good is good and bad is bad and how she could arrive to such conclusion?

This post is about  Pavel Jerdanowitch Painting Contest. --admin

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 10:45:44 PM »
If I painted a painting like her bad one, I'd be happy!  But maybe her portraits are really great.

But I really like her work.  I saw that yesterday I think it was, when i did an internet search to see her work.

The one called Sonic something.......  The thumbnail doesn't bring up a good enough sized picture to see it well.  But I like what I see.

I just made the worst doll ever.  This thing is so bad that I didn't even bother to put it away, but tossed it into the back room.  I'll put it away later.  It started with such promise, but then went bad, really bad.

Janet

Nanny Goat

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 10:51:16 PM »
Oh, that was me in the other post.

Anyway, I forgot to answer your question.  I don't know how this artist decided.  But I can guess.  

The work on Kelly's site has great balance and color and depth.

The portrait may have some problems if you look real close.  But I still think it's cool.

However, the art on her site might be her primary form of expression and maybe she's just hard on herself about portraits.  Lack of confidence or something.  

Sometimes when I make a doll I think is bad art, other people don't see it that way.

I dunno though.  I can also tell you that if I was going to buy one of hers, it'd be one of the ones off her site.  I really liked those a lot.

Janet

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »
Or may be because art critics said so?

You know those folks: the worse the painting the louder the praise.

Nanny Goat

critics
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 07:56:55 AM »
Gosh, I haven't read anything by a serious critic in a long time.  

I used to read the movie and play critics in the newspaper in the town I grew up in.  One was a friend of my parents.  When someone slammed an actor, I always cringed.  I could only think how I'd feel.

I don't make fine art.  I don't think it always falls into "bad art" although the critics might disagree with me.  I make art for myself mostly, and sometimes it's fun to share.  

I just can't get that serious about it to the point that I have to get into the misery of it all.

Janet

Zarka

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:27:52 PM »
I think it is worse than her other paintings, especially because the face around the mouth and chin is skewed, but maybe she's just gunning for free publicity on your site, or maybe someone that doesn't like her put it up?

PEZAGRAPHOC

WHAT IS THE POINT TO THIS SHITE I MEAN SITE
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »
:twisted:  :roll:  :oops:  :oops:  :x  :x   LOOK WHO CARES WHATS WHAT FOR A START ITS OBVIOUS, I GOT 92% AND THATS ONLY COS ANY OLD FOOL COULD OF DRAWN THE BLACK CIRCLE.... THEN AGAIN ITS ALL WHACK ART, THE WORST ART IN THE WORLD, MAYBE YOUR POINT BUT PERHAPS YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON THE TRUE VISIONARIES AND IM NOT TALKING ANYTHING YOU WOULD SEE IN A GALLERY... IM TAKING IT YOU ARE A FAILED ARTIST YOURSELF.  THIS SITE IS FOR PHILISTINES AND IM SHOCKED THAT THE CREATOR HAS SPENT SUCH TIME ON IT.. I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT, THERE IS A LOT OF WRONG IN THE WORLD BUT WHY NOT JUST MAKE A SITE ABOUT ORGANIC NATURAL AESTHETICALLY PLEASING THINGS WHETHER IT AUDIO OR VISUAL INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME ..

THAT IS ENOUGH OF MY LIFE WRITING THIS

BE HAPPY

DEPEREZ P

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT IS THE POINT TO THIS SHITE I MEAN SITE
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 07:51:56 PM »
Quote from: "PEZAGRAPHOC"
PERHAPS YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON THE TRUE VISIONARIES AND IM NOT TALKING ANYTHING YOU WOULD SEE IN A GALLERY... IM TAKING IT YOU ARE A FAILED ARTIST YOURSELF.  THIS SITE IS FOR PHILISTINES AND IM SHOCKED THAT THE CREATOR HAS SPENT SUCH TIME ON IT.. WHY NOT JUST MAKE A SITE ABOUT ORGANIC NATURAL AESTHETICALLY PLEASING THINGS WHETHER IT AUDIO OR VISUAL INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME ..

I will be glad to add a visionary artist to our portfolio. You are welcome to submit your art here.

Nanny G.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 06:30:49 PM »
I didn't get it.  What is PEZAGRAPHOC talking about?  What 92% and what black circle?  And how is this site hurting anything?

Okay, what IS the point of the contest?  You've likely said someplace and I forgot or missed it.

Frankly, I only entered it for fun.  I enjoy what I do, and I'm not going to hover over it and protect it from being slammed.  I frankly enjoyed doing that paper bag picture.  I wasn't making fun of anyone.  I was just HAVING FUN, period, end of story.  And if *I* want to call it bad art, and have fun doing it, I will call it bad art, and have fun doing that!

I enjoy play.  I don't get to go out and play like I did when I was young.  I have to make my fun where I can. And this contest looked like fun.  I've had fun with it.

Oh well, I guess someone somehow is going to take offense at nearly anything anyone does.  Can't please everyone, and that's a fact.

But what about that 92% and black circle thing?

JC

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »
Quote from: "Nanny G."
What is PEZAGRAPHOC talking about?  What 92% and what black circle?  And how is this site hurting anything?

About the True art or a fake? quiz which is also on this site.