Author Topic: True art  (Read 77992 times)

Sprickle

True art
« on: May 27, 2005, 12:53:33 PM »
Anybody in the know, knows that the assertion of true art is at the descretion of the artist.

This post is about  True art or a fake? quiz --admin

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: True art
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 11:02:19 PM »
Quote from: "Sprickle"
Anybody in the know, knows that the assertion of true art is at the descretion of the artist.

This is true, but let us put the question the following way. If anyone can produce images, indistinguishable from "true art", then what is its value?

Andy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 07:44:06 AM »
But are the fakes indistinguishable? Do you have any results from this quiz? (Apologies if you have - had a quick look but couldn't find any).

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 10:57:31 PM »
Quote from: "Andy"
But are the fakes indistinguishable? Do you have any results from this quiz? (Apologies if you have - had a quick look but couldn't find any).

I am not ready to make the results public. They are currently being collected and analyzed. Preliminary finding is that some of the fakes are selected as "true art" more often than some of the masterpieces. This is consistent with the opinion of certain art critics.

Anonymous

True art
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »
Didn't we already play this game with a signed urinal?

In reality, art is amorphous, it bends to fit a generation's needs.  I don't particularly like that a man could let his seven year old go at his canvas with some water color and then pass it off as brilliance, but at least it provokes some modicum of discussion.

VB

True art
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 06:23:06 AM »
One of these quizes were created to gather data for a scientific study. The other is for entertainment purposes only.

Disregarding such information as the names and ages of the authors, the URLs of the quizes, and the nature of the content of other parts of those sites, can you tell which is which?

Quiz #1
Quiz #2

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
True art
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 02:37:07 PM »
Quote from: "VB"
One of these quizes were created to gather data for a scientific study. The other is for entertainment purposes only.

Disregarding such information as the names and ages of the authors, the URLs of the quizes, and the nature of the content of other parts of those sites, can you tell which is which?

"Some medical beast had revived tar-water in those days as a fine medicine, and Mrs. Joe always kept a supply of it in the cupboard; having a belief in its virtues correspondent to its nastiness. " (Charles Dickens, "Great Expectations")

Similarly, some people believe that true science must be boring.

VB

True art
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 07:54:19 PM »
Quote from: "Mikhail Simkin"
"Some medical beast had revived tar-water in those days as a fine medicine, and Mrs. Joe always kept a supply of it in the cupboard; having a belief in its virtues correspondent to its nastiness. " (Charles Dickens, "Great Expectations")

Similarly, some people believe that true science must be boring.

Well, that's what I'm saying: You can't judge by the smell, you need to know more. Maybe have a look at what goes in the medicine. I guess the bottom line is I'm one of those who *don't* believe a work of art can convey a message entirely independent of the time and culture in which it was created. Now, what do you think? (Or rather, what is your hypothesis?)

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
True art
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 08:51:55 PM »
Quote from: "VB"

Well, that's what I'm saying: You can't judge by the smell, you need to know more. Maybe have a look at what goes in the medicine. I guess the bottom line is I'm one of those who *don't* believe a work of art can convey a message entirely independent of the time and culture in which it was created. Now, what do you think? (Or rather, what is your hypothesis?)

No, you don't need to look at what goes in the medicine to judge whether drug is good. You can just check if it works.

You can't judge visual art by the smell (although some masterpieces of modern art do have foul odor). You can judge  it by visual appearance.

Doesn't matter

True art
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 07:02:46 AM »
This is crap. I had a score of 67%. And i guessed it all. But how can you say that something is art or isn't. Personnaly I find that all the images were art. No matter how stupid they look.
I guessed by thinking what the makers of the test find art themselves or not. I think they're losers and not artistic at all.

cybermage

:-)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 07:57:16 AM »
I scored 50%.
I would like to note that I dont believe in the existence of art in the way most people see it.

This test proves that. The only people who could "see" the real thing from yours were those who knew the art pieces from before. I dont believe that those people are more cultivated than other people, they may have more knowledge, but thats all.

Art is about feeling and not something objective.

By the way, I liked very much some of your "fake" art pieces.

green_body

just kiddin
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 03:44:56 PM »
nice quiz. but all the fake things actually looked like fake and unnatural. you could draw smth by yourself to make the quiz more tricky.. imho...

about true art: it`s rather a feelin than a artefact itself... the feelin the painting is made with - or the feelin the viewer looks at the paintin with...
(too clumsy isn`t it? =))))

best wishes

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
True art
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 09:38:31 PM »
Quote from: "Doesn't matter"
I guessed by thinking what the makers of the test find art themselves or not. I think they're losers and not artistic at all.

Actually, True art or a fake? quiz and all other quizzes on reverent.org were made by one person. May be I am "loosers", but reverent.org is doing fine: hundreds of visitors daily (some days thousands).

Anonymous

True art
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 09:32:25 AM »
Abstract art is a contradiction of words. If you remove the communication from art you lose the meaning...with no meaning it is pointless. Think of a book...a book is made up of chapters, paragraphs, sentences, words and letters (and some numbers). That is structure. Remove the structure and it loses its meaning. Abstract art is like taking a novel (paint, canvas, brushes and time) and mixing up all the words and telling people to make sense of it. It was purely commercial and it worked. Please don’t make more of it than that.