Author Topic: [painting contest]What IS bad anyway?  (Read 9521 times)

Nanny Goat

[painting contest]What IS bad anyway?
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:04:41 AM »
You know, when I first saw this contest, I thought it was a kick, what fun!  

I looked at the pictures, and frankly, I don't think they are all bad art.  But then there are a variety of definitions of the word "bad".

Over the weeks though, this contest has given me pause to think.  Could ALL my work be entered into a bad art contest?  Maybe!  Or maybe the thing I entered isn't all that bad?  I have no idea.  I think it is bad though.   :D  :D  :D

Who decides what is bad and what isn't bad?  God?  You?  Me?  The critic down at the newpaper office?  Art professors?  Self-proclaimed art critics?

Isn't it good to feel something?  I recently did a collage that might be bad art, might be good art, I have no idea.  But I've gotten comments on it that lead me to believe it is making some people feel things deeply.  It does me.

Is all art valid?  I used to not think so, but today I think that if someone is moved enough by a piece, then it must be valid, to some degree.

This good art/bad art issue never bothered me a lot before this contest.  Now it isn't really bothering me, but I'm pondering it more, and more and more I'm coming down on the side of it doesn't matter if art is good or bad, if someone, somewhere likes it, it IS art, period.

On the other hand, I could be full of it and all wrong.

Janet

Ravenwing

• View Profile
What is bad....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »
Hi Nanny!!

Good to see you again!   :P

What is bad?

AN OPINION! :wink:

It is very difficult to quantify.  :?

I think it's one for the Philosophers - - it falls into the same category as;

How long is a piece of string?
Which came first; the chicken or the egg?
Why did the chicken cross the road?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Perhaps this is a question for Mikhail - - with reference to one of my previous posts:

I would also like to know what the paintings will be judged on

The Judges would have to tell us what they consider "Bad"

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What IS bad anyway?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 06:23:37 PM »
Quote from: "Nanny Goat"
Who decides what is bad and what isn't bad?  God?  You?  Me?  The critic down at the newpaper office?  Art professors?  Self-proclaimed art critics?

With regard to self-proclamation, I recall the following story. When Joseph Brodsky was on trial for parasitism (in the USSR there was a law penalizing for not working), the judge asked "Citizen Brodsky, why you did not work?". Brodsky replied: "I did, I wrote verses." The judge responded: "Who had appointed you a poet?"
So: regarding the art critics, self-proclaimed or not, perhaps, you can simply evaluate the critical argument?

Concerning this contest: the worst painting will be determined based on the votes of the visitors to this website.

Nanny Goat

Hi!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:52:39 AM »
Raven, good to "see" you too!   :D

I think I just simply have never figured out how to judge good art from bad art.  I am not a trained artist, but did take HS art and a couple of art classes in college.  Those alone were not a lot of training, by a long shot.

But I did learn a bit about perspective, color, etc.  Not that I use well what I learned.   :lol:

But even at that, I've seen art that is considered great art use poor perspective, etc.  

Some of the "misuse" of perspective can be a tool to get a feeling though.  Like was it here we were talking about the still lifes?  One artist will do a still life of stuff on a table and the fruit or whatever will look like it's about to tumble, but the next artist will do one that is technically correct and the fruit just sits there.  The first perhaps used that technique to create some tension.

I have another picture to submit here.  It's pretty bad.  hahahah  I just have to take a photo of it.  It's too big to scan.

Janet