Author Topic: [Faulkner or Machine?] Wow  (Read 20330 times)

Anonymous

[Faulkner or Machine?] Wow
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:25:57 PM »
Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a freshman at Stanford, and I won a national-level writing writing award in high school. I scored 50% - ie, I might as well have guessed randomly. This is really humbling.

This post is about the Machine translation or Faulkner? quiz --admin

istara

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:22:35 AM »
17% here.

I've never read Faulkner, and after this quiz, I very much doubt I ever will.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
I got 25%.  Even more interestingly, the only ones I got right were machine translated.  I didn't guess a single Faulkner as Faulkner.  I based my choices on gramatical correctness and use of punctuation.  Obviously that was the wrong choice.  I swear, some of the Faulkner quotes sounded like they belonged in Finnegan's Wake.

Oakland_43

Faulkner machine
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:49:11 PM »
It's not fair to quote from The Sound and the Fury because part of it is narrated by an idiot, Benjy, and it will naturally sound like gibberish.  Also, if you select passages from machine translations that sound like Benjy talking, especially if you test them on people randomly before you test it on us, well, you are going to have a test that only English professors will be able to pass.  (I got exactly 50%)

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Faulkner machine
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:37:15 AM »
Quote from: "Oakland_43"
It's not fair to quote from The Sound and the Fury because part of it is narrated by an idiot, Benjy, and it will naturally sound like gibberish.

Not a single quote used in the quiz was taken from Benjy, the idiot. They all belong to Quentin, the Harvard student.

joe

faulkner
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:08:43 AM »
Never having read "sound and the fury" i got an 83.  Not too bad I guess.  The captial letters on nouns give away the german texts.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
That was a pretty funny quiz (although it would probably have been harder if there had been passages from Absalom, Absalom! as well). I definitely appreciate the humour (even though I think Faulkner is awesome), having just read The Sound and the Fury in AP English Lit. I got a 92%–the first one was the one I got wrong; I thought the tenses were screwed up but apparently not. A couple of them were giveaways, though–I knew one was a machine translation because it contained the word "don't". Faulkner would have spelled it "dont".  :lol:[/i]

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »
All of the passages are from Quentin's section of The Sound and the Fury.  Not that hard.  92%.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
The only one I was confident of was the translation of Goethe - but only because it sounded like something he'd say, and I was right.  Almost everything else was gibberish, or very awkward at best.  Only guessed 33% correct.

IttyBitty

Better results when I read them out loud
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 06:56:56 PM »
First I read and answered; then before checking my results, I went back and tried reading the lines aloud. That made me change three of my choices. I ended up at 92 %.

Joel

Re: [Faulkner or Machine?] Wow
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 12:54:56 AM »
Though I've done pretty badly with the other literary quizzes (less than 50% on poetry vs. parody, and at least 3 wrong on the Dickens one, including a quote from Great Expecations which is my favorite book!) I aced this one: my first 100% on your quizzes. I know you like to look up the IP addresses, but for the record I clicked on Faulkner for the third-to-last after concluding that it sounded like a machine translation. So my initial score was 92% but I went back and fixed it.

I found the Faulkner passages had a certain flow to them, even if taken at face-value the imagery didn't seem to make much sense! The machine translations sounded pretty clumsy.

Ghodzilla

• View Profile
Re: [Faulkner or Machine?] Wow
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »
These were fun.

I did poorly  on the "great writer or hack" maybe because I don't like Joyce and do like King.

I did 75% on the art versus fake.  My policy there was to decide whether I actually liked the pieces.  I really liked the one that was sort of a red abstract alligator, but it was a fake, alas.  And I didn't like one of the "real art" pieces, so I marked it fake.  But several of the fakes were just -- ugly.  I wonder if the creator of the abstract alligator has hidden talent --

And the same applied to the poetry.   I recognized the nicotine poem and I still think it's a parody.  I mean, the original was a parody. 

I read once that a viewer's taste improves with exposure --