Author Topic: Art Test  (Read 79325 times)

RonPoetIllinois

Art Test
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:11:18 AM »
THe fakes are just as good as the junk, LOL and your point is? My point would be, why pay when you can do as good for free. Ron

This post is about  True art or a fake? quiz --admin

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Art Test
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 11:10:58 PM »
Quote from: "RonPoetIllinois"
THe fakes are just as good as the junk, LOL and your point is? My point would be, why pay when you can do as good for free. Ron

I have a certain horizon before me, which did not yet contracted to a point. The quizzes were written to conduct a scientific inquiry into the issue, and I wiil make up my opinion when there will be enough experimental data.

Persephone

True art or fake
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:31:32 AM »
If the meaning of communication lay in interpretation then how may art succeed; what is artistic sucess? What predicates art? What is "Art"...and what is not?

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: True art or fake
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "Persephone"
what is artistic sucess? ... What is "Art"...and what is not?

This is a rhetorical question. What one can practically do is to take the paintings of prominent artists, which hang in famous museums, and check if they can be distinguished from fakes when artists' names are detached from them.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 02:16:05 PM »
Quote from: "Mikhail Simkin"
Quote from: "Persephone"
what is artistic sucess? ... What is "Art"...and what is not?

This is a rhetorical question. What one can practically do is to take the paintings of prominent artists, which hang in famous museums, and check if they can be distinguished from fakes when artists' names are detached from them.
I find this quiz very interesting. It would be also very interesting to know the results. Dear Mr Simkin, just continue with this. I tried with "MIDI or Virtuoso?" but it seems that it  doesn't work :(((

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 09:58:11 PM »
Quote from: "guest"
It would be also very interesting to know the results.

I am not yet ready to make the results public, but I released a videoclip, which shows how some of the fakes were produced.
I tried with "MIDI or Virtuoso?" but it seems that it  doesn't work :(((

The MIDI or Virtuoso? quiz appears to work fine. However it takes a lot of time to download the audioclips if you use a dial-up connection.

Melechko

resonance
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:32:41 PM »
True art? Art is merely self expression.

You can express yourself in the toilet, check out Dali's Diary of a genius"

What makes a work of art "true" is resonance.

I like the "famous" or "obscure" definitions much better.

What made a particular work resonate depends on time and social setting. Would Picasso's "Guernica" make resonance today?  

just making pictures

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: resonance
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 09:22:12 PM »
Quote from: "Melechko"
What makes a work of art "true" is resonance.

Actually there is a mathematical theory of this phenomenon. That paper is about scientific citing but results are fully applicable to web-links, dicussed in the blog you mention.

Nexus

Art Test
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »
I guessed %83 but i know that i would guess %0 (would say all is fake) if i wouldn't have seen the National Art Gallery in Washington. I saw all these weird things called art and was shocked back then already. When the future generations will see how art changed from the Renaissance peiod to our oeriod they will laugh at us and think that the value of art has decreased every day. I am sorry but i don't call this art.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Art Test
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 04:45:50 PM »
Quote from: "Nexus"
I saw all these weird things called art and was shocked back then already. When the future generations will see how art changed from the Renaissance peiod to our oeriod they will laugh at us and think that the value of art has decreased every day.

Do not forget how opressive the political system was in the period you call  Renaissance. Historically the humankind moved to more democratic forms of government. Also art gradually became more and more democratic. Nowadays everyone can create art. Check out my tutorial: A new kind of art.

kassis

true art or fake
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 06:39:43 AM »
I think this test was fun!
I relegated some art to the junk pile, and I'm wondering if all "real art" was shown whole, or if, for instance. the Klee was cropped.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: true art or fake
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 01:43:21 PM »
Quote from: "kassis"
I relegated some art to the junk pile, and I'm wondering if all "real art" was shown whole, or if, for instance. the Klee was cropped.

Yes, the Klee was cropped. I cut his important name from the painting.

Here is what was in the quiz:

And here is the complete painting:

I'm sure you wouldn't  put this one in junk.

Elroch

Why I did ok
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 06:03:45 PM »
I got 11/12 (just the first one wrong) and I was pretty chuffed at my new-found artistic sensibility.

But when I read other comments, I realised that to some extent I had half-consciously rejected the images that looked like they had been knocked up using simple drawing software [the first may have escaped because it is not so obvious).

So my comment would be not that your creations were not good art, it would be that they were not good fakes. I reckon using software like GIMP you could create utterly convincing (and deeply meaningful) fake art.

Elroch

Why I didn't do better
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 06:10:09 PM »
On a little further reflection, I don't know how I got the first one wrong. For some reason I said it was a fake, but it does not have the characteristics of the other ones I correctly identified as fakes, and now looks obviously genuine. I suppose it is possible to imagine something similar being created with fairly simple software though.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
It would be also very interesting to know the results.

I was hesitating to do this, knowing how embarrassing the quiz results will be for the artistic community. But soon or late the truth has to come out, and here it goes:

Properly Prescribed

"He suggested I play golf, but finally agreed to give me something that, he said, "would really work"; and going to a cabinet, he produced a vial of violet-blue capsules banded with dark purple at one end, which, he said, had just been placed on the market and were intended not for neurotics whom a draft of water could calm if properly administered, but only for great sleepless artists who had to die for a few hours in order to live for centuries."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Are the sleepless artists really great, or merely properly administered?

keep reading