Author Topic: Art Test  (Read 79316 times)

semaj

Art Test
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 06:56:45 PM »
Scored a 67% on this, but what needs to be taken into account is that replies can be justified. For instance, the Klee painting isn't particularly interesting, and the Kandinsky gets a value judgment as being a study, not art. I was pretty sure I had seen 6 & 11 somewhere before, so I misattributed them, though I wouldn't have called them great art - and therein's the crux of the problem: the question is to tell the "true masterpieces" from the junk, without acknowledging that, even in terms of abstract art, there are variations of quality. The "famous vs. unknown artist" quiz better conveys the discrepancy between quality and junk by being more apples to apples (an 83% for me on that; missed the rather boring Gauguin and overestimated one Churchill as possibly a boring famous work); I've seen a test like that with abstract art which was a better one than this. The ability to tell the difference in something like that is based upon more minute aspects of the way art works, rather than a slapdash junking of abstraction based on "true masterpieces" and "fakes" when both are actually arbitrary terms.

Yes, I like abstract art. And yes, it's really easy to make shitty abstract art - even "immortal masters" did so. And while we're listing things based around your tests, yes, monkeys can make some really nice paintings (Michael the Gorilla's "Apple Chase" is a personal favourite), and the "Pollock or Birds" is such an obvious joke.

Anonymous

Art Test
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »
I scored 87%, mostly by trying to tell apart scanned photographs from images created directly on the computer.

Something interesting happened at number 2, though. I am not much of an art knower, but the name "Mondrian" somehow popped into my head when I saw the  image. I don't think I have heard that name uttered since high school 15 years ago, but something must have stuck. However, the question then is, is this a real Mondrian or a fake one? It would be fairly easy to cook up something that looks sufficiently Mondrian-like to fool me, particularly if one had a few samples of actual Mondrian available as a style reference.

The point is, I think, that it is not too clear to a taker of this test whether the task is to distinguish between masterpieces and parodies of particular masterpieces, or to distinguish between masterpieces and parodies of the more general idea of nonfigurative art. It becomes a guess-the-tester's-intentions game just as much as an experiment in recognizing actual excellence.

In the end I tagged #2 as real only due to the signs of brushwork  at its lower left, end I didn't think that so much effort would be invested in a casual fakery for a web quiz.

slji

loved the quiz
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:38 AM »
I got a 67%. I think the only reason I scored above chance level (which is 50%, by the way people -- 50% is equivalent to random guessing) is because I recognized 1-2 of the real art pieces, and I could tell another 1-2 of them were created on canvas. It is true, though -- I think that modern art is not that hard to make. I do believe that these artists will in general create better, more meaningful, more aesthetically pleasing pieces than the average person, but the differences is quite small so what's the point of paying thousands to buy a work of art from these people?

Marin County

Art Test
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 12:27:08 AM »
I work for a living. I drive a Ford truck. Against all odds, I managed a score of 83....no mean feat for an avowed philistine on whom the subtleties of modern "art" are utterly lost. Not so long ago a girlie friend (a N.Y.C. native of a deeply provincial bent) brought over the DVD of "Pollock".."good" I says to myself..at least I can oggle  Marcia Gay Harden's cute/funny little nose. Nothin' doin'..NY Girl proceeded to provide her own unintentionally hilarious SAP to "help" me "get it". "Oh..oh look! The intensity in the technique"! "She (Krasner) is setting her own career aside for him"! This went on for a while then she turns to me and says  "You just don't KNOW how exciting the New York art scene is , I mean..you've never been there..well , you know"

I was preparing to give her a goodly dose of Left Coast righteous wrath when through my torpor I see ole' Poll' take his final ride in that Long White Cadillac...Kerrang! I loved it...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. "My turn" I say to myself. "Well Dear, I don't ever want to see New York. And I think the whole New York art scene is a soulless, culture-wrecking swindle with fools on both sides of the money"

"Oh" says she.   "More cognac"?

John Lennon was right about Picasso

John Cale was right about John Lennon

Travis Bickle was right about John Cale...or was it New York?

peterohalloran

Pro artist gets a 92
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
I am a professional artist and got a 92.  The Kandinsky color study threw me off.  What this shows is not that I can recognize masterpieces over what you call "fake art" but that I am familiar with the styles and works of artists who have been held up as masters.  I would like to make a few points.  First, not all works of art made by masters are masterpieces.  The Kandinsky is a color study, yes?  Not done in his signature style, and probably not considered very significant by the artist.  Any scrap of paper with a masters signature has value, might be hung in a museum, or be part of a "collection", but that has little bearing on its relative merit as art.  I think to call your attempts at art "fakes" is a misstatement.  Fakes are made to deliberately fool someone into thinking what you have made was produced by someone else.  A fake is an attempt to either copy a particular work or a style for the purpose of deception.  I don't see that here.  You have made genuine original works of art.  Their merit as art is subject to debate.  I would be delighted to give you a critique.  The validity of any results of your experiment here will be suspect, I'm afraid, unless you make more of an effort to produce some fakes.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Art Test
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 03:27:11 PM »
Quote from: "Marin County"
I work for a living. I drive a Ford truck. Against all odds, I managed a score of 83....no mean feat for an avowed philistine on whom the subtleties of modern "art" are utterly lost.

It may be surprising to you, but not to me. I discovered that the so-called intellectuals score on the test almost like the common folks. (See the scientific analysis of the results of the quiz.)

These pseudo-intellectuals work hard to cheat you and me into beleiving that they are smarter, but in reality they are not.

Quote from: "Marin County"
And I think the whole New York art scene is a soulless, culture-wrecking swindle with fools on both sides of the money

You are right on the money.

Quote from: "peterohalloran"
I am a professional artist and got a 92.

Not a brilliant achievement for such an advanced individual as yourself. A truck driver one post ahead of you got an 83. Now I would like to see how you can handle an 18-wheeler. I suspect that you will wreck it somewhere into a ditch, sit there and cry like Paris Hilton.

Quote from: "peterohalloran"
The Kandinsky is a color study, yes? Not done in his signature style, and probably not considered very significant by the artist. Any scrap of paper with a masters signature has value, might be hung in a museum, or be part of a "collection", but that has little bearing on its relative merit as art..

They sell the posters of Color Study everywhere.

Bread

Art Test
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
I got a 75% without any experience in art in any form.  Thing is, some of them looked like they were made with brushes, not a computer - especially 8 and 9.  There's a little imperfection in #2, I think - it looks like it's a photo of an actual work as opposed to something you made yourself and uploaded.  The blurriness of 7 and the pixelization of 5 make them seem computer-made.  I'd made ones like 6 and 11 myself just by screwing around in Word and Paint, so I was pretty sure they were fake, too.  I had to guess on the rest, but the point of the quiz is upheld by the fact that I couldn't get any of them based on artistic merit.  Knowing that you had put very little time into making the fakes, and having a little bit of experience making cool-looking line drawings and so on using a computer, I could guess what a few of them were, and that's it.  This is a very interesting site and concept.  The funny thing is, I don't dislike modern art by any means.  I just don't think it takes any special talent to create much of it.

Hzhane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
             I just depend my answers on my interpretation of the art work by the artist.

artangel134

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
I think it's very unusual that when I looked at the article about the results, and It said an art critic got a lower score than I did. I got a 100%. Did I mention I'm not out of MIDDLE SCHOOL yet? It was really quite easy to tell what was art and what wasn't. The fake art lacked any fluidity or meaning, more like it was an optical illusion thrown on paper..
"If I were a better artist, I'd be a painter, and if I were a better writer, I'd write books.. but I'm not, so I draw cartoons!" - Charles M. Schulz

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 12:57:29 PM »
I think it's very unusual that when I looked at the article about the results, and It said an art critic got a lower score than I did. I got a 100%. Did I mention I'm not out of MIDDLE SCHOOL yet?
There is nothing unusual here. Check out the video where unsuspecting advanced art critics are praising a painting produced by children even younger than yourself:

It was really quite easy to tell what was art and what wasn't. The fake art lacked any fluidity or meaning, more like it was an optical illusion thrown on paper..
Lacked what fluidity? Perhaps you mean what other people call pixelated (because generated using a computer)? Anyway, there is a quiz where you are not going to get a 100% : Bremen Artists.

Joanna Casey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 02:20:41 AM »
I'm currently studying Fine Art Photography and I found this test very interesting.  I scored 92%, and I would have scored 100% if I hadn't missed one of the questions, which I would have marked with the right answer.  This score was a relief because it shows I have learnt some art history!  I looked long and hard at the images and even though I didn't know all the 'real' works and made a couple of educated guesses, there was just something about the quality of the fakes that made them seem fake.  Who knows what brain processes made me make the right choices.  I think it would  be interesting to get a group of children with little knowledge of art history to take the test and see what they make of it.