Author Topic: Poetry/Parody quiz  (Read 10604 times)

Hugh Clary

  • Guest
Poetry/Parody quiz
« on: October 12, 2006, 08:29:09 AM »
At your parody/poetry quiz link below,

http://reverent.org/quizomatic/test.php

how can one discover the works that were parodied? The original poems, that is.

joe

  • Guest
parody or pastiche
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:33:08 AM »
While the spectric school started out as a great joke and parody, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't it turn out more like pastiche, both in the non-comical sense, and kind of in the paying homage sense, since after the hoax was found out they continued to write in their pseudonym spectric names, as if they began to like the freeing aspect of modern poetry.  I also seem to remember that the real person behind Anne Knish had some homosexual leanings that he tried to cover up and the Anne Knish name gave him a bit of an outlet for this.  Perhaps the spectric school was not so much a parody as you suggest or that it was a parody that actually became serious as the parodists began to like what they mocked (as I think often happens if one mocks enough).

Mikhail Simkin

  • Administrator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: Poetry/Parody quiz
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »
Quote from: "Hugh Clary"
At your parody/poetry quiz link below,

http://reverent.org/quizomatic/test.php

how can one discover the works that were parodied? The original poems, that is.

The correct link to the "Poetry or Parody?" quiz is: http://reverent.org/poetry_or_parody.html . The url you linked to is that of the script, which grades the test.

The aim of Spectrism was not to parody particular poems, but to parody poetic schools. It is explained in this essay: Spectric School of Poetry.

Mikhail Simkin

  • Administrator
  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: parody or pastiche
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 03:14:45 PM »
Quote from: "joe"
I also seem to remember that the real person behind Anne Knish had some homosexual leanings that he tried to cover up and the Anne Knish name gave him a bit of an outlet for this.

Actually it is the person behind Emanuel Morgan, not Anne Knish, whome some accuse of being a homosexual.

Quote from: "joe"
Perhaps the spectric school was not so much a parody as you suggest or that it was a parody that actually became serious as the parodists began to like what they mocked (as I think often happens if one mocks enough).

May be they just liked the publicity?

Chris

  • Guest
Poetry/Parody quiz
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »
Is it not poetry itself, albeit made as a parody of others' works, or to fool?

Poetry is what the reader takes from it, not what the writer intends of it.