Author Topic: [painting contest]You mean  (Read 15732 times)

Nanny goat

[painting contest]You mean
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:16:43 AM »
That not all the entries are being voted on?  Just 5???

Why is that?

This post is about  Pavel Jerdanowitch Painting Contest. --admin

Nanny Goat

Oh I see
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 08:18:55 AM »
If you hit refresh, 5 more appear.

You know, I think you need more thorough instructions.  I sure didn't get it when I first looked at it.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
Not sure what you mean. You just need to select the worst painting and hit the "Vote" button.

Five random contest entries are selected dynamically by the script each time the page is downloaded.

Nanny Goat

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 06:22:28 PM »
Hmmm, I'm not fond of this way of voting.  It could take forever to get to see all the pictures.  For instance, I hit refresh numerous times, some of the pictures came up repeatedly, over and over.  Others came up later on.  The voters may get tired of looking for the one they wanted to vote on.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »
I decided to show only five paintings because it will take to long to download all of the 27 paintings  if one uses a dial-up connection.
It is also unlikely that every voter is going to look at all of the  paintings, even if they were downloaded. So I made it easier for them.

Every voter should  vote just once. Repeat votes will be discarded during counting (only the first vote from each voter will be retained).

Nanny

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Oh, well, I was thinking about for next year's competition.

How about just letting the viewers look at the two pages of pictures as you have them right now, then just have a complete ballot list with no pictures?

To me that makes more sense than to have 5 pop up randomly.  Mainly because they aren't popping up consistently.  It could take a very long time to get to see all the pictures.

But with just a ballot with no pictures, they could pic their favorite from the main pages, then go vote.

Janet

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 01:03:33 PM »
If the next year there will be more entries than this year than asking people to look at all of them will be even more unreasonable.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 06:15:21 AM »
Okay, I don't think I'm explaining clearly.

When you go to vote in a political election, there are no pictures, there are no descriptions of the candidates, there are only names.

So, my thought was that the voting ballot for a contest like this would be simply a list of names with the voting buttons, and that's all.  They'd already have seen the pictures and know which one they wanted to vote for.  You don't really need the picture with the button, just the name of the picture with the artist's name.

OR, if there is room on one page, perhaps thumbnails of the pictures.  That would be fairly easy to do and would take up a lot less space.

Janet

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:59:39 PM »
That's why I made the vote the way it is: I don't want it to be like presidential elections were people vote for those they don't know.

Wherever the paintings are located: on the voting page or on another page people would have to download them. And if the paintings are on two pages - people will most likely look up  the first page only.

nanny

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »
I agree, but now you have them on an infinite number of pages.  doing it with the pictures coming up randomly brings some pictures up multiple times, and other pictures don't even show for several screens, if ever.  Makes voting very difficult.

I haven't voted yet because the picture I was going to vote for didn't pop onto my screen within about 7 tries.  But a couple of the pictures popped up many times.

But hey, it's your contest, do it however you will.  It ain't national security!  LOL  

Janet

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »
You are not supposed to select the worst of all entries, just the worst of the five you see the first time you downloaded the contest page.

It may be an inconvenience for the artists who want to vote for their paintings, but makes things easier for everyone else.