Author Topic: Can't make a monkey out of me that easily!  (Read 10352 times)

Someone Else

• View Profile
Can't make a monkey out of me that easily!
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:58:29 PM »
I easily got all of them right on the Artist/Ape quiz even though I have no formal training in art an didn't recognize any of the artists. There is evidence of intent and a coherency in the human works that isn't in the others.

I'm sure I could be fooled by some works, but in this test I would say that getting a low score says more about the person taking the test than about modern art.

This post is about  An artist or an ape? quiz --admin
he position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel. Piet Mondrian

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 09:11:41 PM »
About one quarter of the tested get 100% on this quiz. This is not surprising: we compare great artists to someone who is not even human. The Famous or unknown artist? quiz is much more complicated.

However, the fact that three quarters of the tested make errors tells us something about the state of art.

Someone Else

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:28:39 PM »
Quote from: "Mikhail Simkin"
However, the fact that three quarters of the tested make errors tells us something about the state of art.

Hi Mikhail, thank you for this interesting forum.

All it says is that the art doesn't communicate to everyone.  There are mathematical theorums that can bring tears to the eyes of someone who can appreciate their awesome beauty. I had this experience long, long, ago, and was fortunate to have a professor who had a similar appreciation even though my fellow students thought I was daft.

The beauty was there in that theorum, the lack of recognition reflected the students lack of 'taste', not the state of the mathematics.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:53:29 PM »
Quote from: "Someone Else"
the lack of recognition reflected the students lack of 'taste'

The analysis of the results of the "True Art or a Fake?" quiz indicates that there is no difference between the scores, earned by people from the elite universities, and those of the crowd.

Someone Else

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:58:08 PM »
Quote from: "Mikhail Simkin"
The analysis of the results of the "True Art or a Fake?" quiz indicates that there is no difference between the scores, earned by people from the elite universities, and those of the crowd.

Just looked over the analysis and it does make me wonder a bit...