Author Topic: Telling fake from real poetry  (Read 8253 times)

brianvds

• View Profile
    • Brian's Notebook
    • Email
Telling fake from real poetry
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:08:51 AM »

I tried out the quiz on trying to distinguish real poems from parody ones. Now I have two confessions to make. The first is that I struggle to understand any poetry of any kind. Even very traditional ones, that rhyme and everything. I read such a poem over and over, and I cannot for the life of me work out just what the heck the poet is trying to say.

So perhaps it would not be surprising if I were unable to distinguish fake poems from real ones where the poems were written in an obscure style. But to my surprise, I scored 67%, so apparently I have some sort of ability to distinguish real poetry from fake poetry, even as complete amateur.

But this brings me to my second confession: I didn't read the poems. I tried to read the first one, only to find my familiar poetry block setting in: my head starts spinning and simultaneously I begin to yawn. I realized that if I read through all the poems, it was going become a LONG day, so instead I just very quickly scanned through them, reading a line or two, and then taking a look at the general shape of the poem. Then I made a guess based on pure intuition.

And scored significantly better than chance. Perhaps it is just a fluke though. One would need ten or twenty or a hundred people with my background and knowledge, and following the same procedure I followed, to see whether someone completely untrained in poetry can really, basically at a glance, see some sort of difference between real poems and parodies, at least some of the time.

Interesting quizzes! I'm not sure they are always all that scientific, but they sure stimulate a lot of thought and discussion.
Brian
brianvds.blogspot.com

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Telling fake from real poetry
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
So perhaps it would not be surprising if I were unable to distinguish fake poems from real ones where the poems were written in an obscure style. But to my surprise, I scored 67%, so apparently I have some sort of ability to distinguish real poetry from fake poetry, even as complete amateur.
There is a 20% probability to get 67% or more by pure chance.

brianvds

• View Profile
    • Brian's Notebook
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:23:31 PM »
There is a 20% probability to get 67% or more by pure chance.

Ah well, that probably explains it then. I suspect poets can get away with a lot, because people who voluntarily read poems WANT to discern meaning in them, and if you really want to, I'm sure you can find many layers of meaning in any string of words, in the same way that some people can see the face of Jesus in a piece of burned toast.
Brian
brianvds.blogspot.com

Yohana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:42:51 AM »
Your information is very good.