Author Topic: [painting contest]comment  (Read 31632 times)

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bad paintings
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »
Quote from: "prustage"
I suppose one of the simplest ways of assessing whether a painting is bad or not is whether it succeeds in being what it is trying to be. Many of the pictures in this group are quite successful at being exactly what they are - there are a few however that are clearly trying to be something and failing.

I would like to see more paintings like The Jaws, that is something idiotic, which is also funny.

Nanny Goat

Ah, but
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 05:33:58 PM »
Prustage said:

I suppose one of the simplest ways of assessing whether a painting is bad or not is whether it succeeds in being what it is trying to be. Many of the pictures in this group are quite successful at being exactly what they are - there are a few however that are clearly trying to be something and failing.

I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you explain further?  Often when I paint (more serious stuff than here,) I don't even know what I'm trying to say or what the painting should be.  I work on a gut, intuitive level most of the time.  The art itself is paint and canvas, or whatever, but it is not sentient, so IT can't try to be anything.  

Your way of assessing whether a painting is bad or not isn't really all that simple, because you cannot walk around in the artist's mind to know what they were trying to get across.  Everything you see, think, and feel in any art piece is filtered through your own, unique, individual perceptions.

This definition of "bad art" simply isn't one I'm familiar with.  If you could expand on your definition, it'd be appreciated.

Nanny Goat

Ravenwing

• View Profile
ah, but... invitation to all!!
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »
Nanny Goat,

Good to hear from you again!

You said:
Your way of assessing whether a painting is bad or not isn't really all that simple, because you cannot walk around in the artist's mind to know what they were trying to get across. Everything you see, think, and feel in any art piece is filtered through your own, unique, individual perceptions.

I fully agree with you , but in this instance (Face Your Demons), prustage was also correct......

I simply started the painting because the idea of the "woman" appealed to me.  However, because I wasn't working from any reference and I'm relatively new at "this painting thing"  :wink: , I just stumbled along and worked on gut feeling.

BUT, as it developed I did want to say something - - which I'm not too sure is coming across in the painting......  What you see is a myriad of backgrounds and endless frustration.  Therefor prustage is spot on!

INVITATION TO ALL:
I would love to know what people think when they see this.... what goes through their minds.....  

Who knows, if anyone is interested, perhaps I'll "reveal all" at the end of the competition.

Anonymous

[painting contest]comment
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 06:00:38 PM »
Good to "see" you again too!  LOL

When I first saw your picture, I thought of power, that deep, gut power a woman has.  The power she draws on if her young are threatened.  The power she draws on when facing something new and has to tap into her reserves.  

I saw that in myself when my husband became ill one time and needed emergency care, but refused to go to the hospital.  Go look at your picture, that's me ordering him to get up, get in the car, because we are GOING.  I turned into that woman!  LOL

Now, regardless of what you were trying to say, I found my own definition.

Reminds me of the time my daughter did a large painting of the crucifixion.  It was very dramatic with a lot of intrigue.  She was telling some people at work about it and they wanted to see it, so she foolishly took it in.  It made some of them kind of mad at her. I didn't think it was irreverant at all, but some saw it that way.

Anyway, in the foreground of the picture was a person, just standing there, this person among a few other people as I recall.

A lady my daughter works with didn't ask, but told my daughter, "That's Satan."  

My daughter told her, no it was just a person standing there.

The lady kept insisting it was Satan.  In fact, she wound up getting upset with my daughter because she couldn't see that it was Satan.  To heck with the fact that my daughter was the artist!   :lol:

My daughter wasn't really making a statement.  She just had this image she wanted to put on canvas.  But she left Satan out of it!  However, this woman's perceptions were very important to the woman.  So important that she got mad when my daughter wouldn't admit it was as she saw it.

Perception of the viewer is a huge thing in a piece of art.  Otherwise, it'd be really super easy to figure out what was good art and what was bad art.

Janet

Ravenwing

• View Profile
Your Interpretation....
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »
Thank You For Your Thoughts on the painting....  So, "Primal Instinct" ?
I will certainly "tell you the story" of the painting at a later stage.

Your daughter's painting:

Quote from: "Anonymous"
The lady kept insisting it was Satan.  In fact, she wound up getting upset with my daughter because she couldn't see that it was Satan.  To heck with the fact that my daughter was the artist!   :lol:

Perhaps I am terrible;  :twisted:  As long as I can provoke a reaction (regardless of whether it's good or bad), I'm happy.

If something upsets someone to that extent,  :shock:  well, perhaps it should bother them!  To me that means that they've got "issues" which they need to work out for themselves.  And if a painting makes them realise something (personal) like that and they cannot stop thinking of the painting - - A SUCCESSFUL PAINTING!!

Quote from: "Anonymous"

Perception of the viewer is a huge thing in a piece of art.  Otherwise, it'd be really super easy to figure out what was good art and what was bad art.

I've decided a long time ago NEVER to tell people beforehand what a painting is about / what I was trying to "say".  (In fact, I don't even like naming them.)  I also don't care whether someone thinks it's good or bad.....

That's why I paint - to try and intrigue an individual and make them go to their own "special place inside".  What they find there has  :!: Nothing :!:  to do with me......

:oops:  " I am but the vessel....."  :wink:

Nanny Goat

yup
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
That above that came out as "Guest" was me, Nanny Goat Fish.

Anyway, I agree with you in all you said.  I never get upset if someone is upset by something I do.  Evoking an emotion in someone spells success to me!  You can't please everyone all the time, so I do my own thing and when people react, I love it.

You know, some people get upset by my naked dolls.  I thought that was interesting.  You are right, I'm sure they had some kind of personal, unresolved issues in their own lives.

Janet

Ravenwing

• View Profile
yup.....
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 03:33:37 AM »
Nanny Goat,

I knew it was you  :wink:  - I'm rather familiar with "all of you" and your work by this point....

I cannot imagine that anyone can be offended by such beautiful creations!  I really like your dolls - especially the golden one.... (an issue close to my heart).

If ever you come to South Africa (Cape Town), let me know!!

Nanny Goat

The Golden Doll
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »
The Gold doll is now Gold Leafed in a random pattern.  Same meaning, and I hope the same feeling.  

When things hang around too long, I eventually change them some.

My husband says he's afraid to stand still too long, I might paint him.   :lol:

I doubt I'll ever get there.  But what an exciting thought to travel so far!  I do road trips all over the USA though.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Janet