Author Topic: Ape or artist  (Read 30054 times)

ratibor

• View Profile
Re: Ape or artist
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »
This is how I got 100%:

I very quickly tried to decide if the picture contained something _d_e_p_i_c_t_e_d._ This one ape obviously did not have the intention to depict something. Had you included works of _a_c_t_i_o_n___p_a_i_n_t_i_n_g_ by humans, I could not have told them apart from the ape's random work.

So maybe it is the question of _w_h_i_c_h_ kind of art: The one that wants to tell us something and is using however abstract _d_e_p_i_c_t_i_o_n_s_ of whatever far-off objects (that can be very similar to pictograms or resulting letters) on _o_n_e_ side - or the one that counts on random process and respective outcome.

The latter only consists in the _c_h_o_i_c_e_ of the artist what to show/sell and what to put into the trash. No matter if you have a lot of random photographs, computer automated music compositions, or action painting results - the art is to choose what _b_y___c_h_a_n_c_e_ is up to art standards. So I could actually choose from the ape's work something that would look nice on a white wall above my sofa, i.e. what is _d_e_c_o_r_a_t_i_v_e_  and could serve as a replacement for a wallpaper. The prole would just pick the least unpleasant wallpaper in the store around the corner and I would prin out the least unpleasant picture made by the ape, frame it and hang it above the sofa. To be clear: I could do so with the human artworks that you chose as well, only that it is not their _p_u_r_p_o_s_e_!_ On the side of the buyer, it still can be!

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ape or artist
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Had you included works of _a_c_t_i_o_n___p_a_i_n_t_i_n_g_ by humans, I could not have told them apart from the ape's random work.
There actually was in the quiz one action painting by Pollock.

This is how I got 100%
You will find this quiz far more difficult: Bremen Artists