Author Topic: Ape or artist  (Read 32444 times)

JLNobody

Ape or artist
« on: July 28, 2006, 09:40:22 PM »
I checked them all as "artist". After seeing the "correct" answers, I still think I was right.  I would love to paint like that monkey.

This post is about  An artist or an ape? quiz --admin

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ape or artist
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:05:25 PM »
I can understand someone wishing to paint like Leonardo, but why you want to paint like an ape?

Some art Ignoramous

Ape or artist
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 04:28:14 PM »
Personally, i really really liked the first painting done by the Ape (Blue, black, white, and a dash of crimson on a background of off-white).  The color choice and arrangement was very pleasing to me, although i wasn't impressed in the slightest by the other ape compositions.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ape or artist
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:42:35 PM »
How about this one:

Swine Pigcasso from a Chicago zoo creates a masterpiece of abstract art.

(from: http://www.brookfieldzoo.org/pgpages/pagegen.202.aspx )

Anonymous

Ape or artist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 01:52:40 PM »
I got 100% on this test, as did several other respondents apparently.  Even with the tiny little images the total random actions of the ape are easy to seperate from the loose actions of the man.

Anonymous

Ape or artist
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »
100% as well, though you could have picked harder human paintings.  Guest is right - while there are plenty of human paintings that are random paint smearings, you didn't pick any.  That said, I thought the first and last paintings by the monkey looked good, too.  You don't need to be a brilliant artist of any kind to make pictures that look good.  I think the problem is more people's tendency to idolize people who make good art and see them as more than they really are.  Jackson Pollock was someone who was capable of making cool-looking abstract paintings.  Then again, so was Congo.

bama

art, or just abstract nothingness
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »
these quizzes truly show that abstract art can be done by an ape, elephant, or any other creature you can tie a brush to...its not true art but an idea of expression, picked by someone who claims they're an expert in art....
art is truly in the eye of the beholder....im tired and bored of absrtact art, i get better abstract art from my 8 month old daughter and a box of crayolas free of charge...

jamaican rose

ape or artist
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
100%!  I'm so awesome! (OK- my kids helped me)

prying1

100%
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 12:37:31 AM »
I got 100% and was I surprised. - I didn't know i was so smart. - Guess I'll give up my day job and become an art critic.

P.S. Please don't ask me to take it again. I'll probably get zero the second time around.  :roll:

Joel

Re: Ape or artist
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 12:02:48 AM »
I overanalyzed and got 86%. It was pretty obvious which paintings were definitely done by human beings. Are we really not supposed to notice composition and design? If the idea was that they were all supposed to look random, I dissent. It was immediately clear that #3 and #6 were designed and not random splotches (look at the perspective in #6, and the way the black lines outline almost-human shapes. And in #3 there's an obvious pattern there). #4, too, is pretty orderly. Where I lost a few points was in presuming you were trying to be tricky, and take some more-or-less random-looking human paintings and pass them off as ape art. #2 is an ugly, sloppy mess and I knew right away it was the work of an ape. But I actually liked #1 and #5 - maybe it helps that they must have been painted on blue and black paper (whereas the other one was an ugly brown) and I assumed the backgrounds were painted as well. They did look pretty random, but I though perhaps they were random paintings by a person.

I have to say that though these quizzes are interesting your attitude is off-putting. I guess there are some art snobs out there who like to wave around their degrees and sniff at "plebians" but I tend to respond to works based on how they affect me. If your implication is that people are only pretending to respond to abstract art, I actually find that attitude more pretentious than that of the supposed snob's. How do you know what has an effect on me? How do you know what leads to a particular response? Why presume that just because you don't "get" something (and there's plenty I don't get too) the emperor has not clothes?

By the way, no person designed the Grand Canyon. It's still a pretty amazing sight.

Matt

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 06:47:09 AM »
I got 100%.  An early composition lesson is to fill the frame.  You can sort the apes from the humans just by looking to the edges of the paper/canvas.

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 09:17:46 PM »
your attitude is off-putting.
I simply convey the discoveries which I made during my idealistic quest for knowledge. Thus, it is not my attitude, but the truth, what is off-putting to you.

If your implication is that people are only pretending to respond to abstract art, I actually find that attitude more pretentious than that of the supposed snob's.

Please check out this eye-opening video:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:36:00 PM by Mikhail Simkin »

feo takahari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »
I found an alternate way of getting 100%. I marked anything with solely blotches and near-straight lines as "ape," and anything with curved lines as "artist." Apparently, apes don't draw angles very well.

mtgradwell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 04:47:50 AM »
100%. The only marginal one was #5 - nice use of colour, and it could be interpreted e.g. as two standing figures - an abstract version of Millet's Angelus, say - flanked by ghostly trees. But the elements were so few in number and so roughly constructed that it was obvious any apparent structure could have arisen by chance. That's not to say that the chimp isn't an artist, but chimps take a different approach to art than humans do.

If the aim is to criticise modern art, then a better approach would be to take the works of deliberately anti-art "artists" - those who slap the label "art" or random objects and don't make even the slightest attempt at composition - and compare their work with that of a chimp; not asking people if they can tell the difference, but rather asking them which one they prefer.

Erik9adison

• MSN Messenger - ross56townsend@mail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Erik9adison
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Erik9adison
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
your attitude is off-putting.
I simply convey the discoveries which I made during my idealistic quest for knowledge. Thus, it is not my attitude, but the truth, what is off-putting to you.

If your implication is that people are only pretending to respond to abstract art, I actually find that attitude more pretentious than that of the supposed snob's.

Please check out this eye-opening video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pj4MVtoNWZc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pj4MVtoNWZc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Brilliant video! I think this is what you call Modern art as well as Modern Brain...