Author Topic: Mozart test  (Read 32231 times)

pjw

Mozart test
« on: October 14, 2005, 11:14:20 AM »
I got 100%. Salieri sounds more like Haydn, that's a good thing to go by. It sounds as though its from an older school of musical thought.

This post is about  Mozart or Salieri? quiz --admin

Anonymous

Mozart test
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:39:09 AM »
I got 90%. Salieri is better than I thought, although I'd heard one of his pieces before and was lukewarm on it. I wavered on number 3 - the aria from a 1789 Salieri opera. I immediately thought "Salieri", but as the music progressed, noticed that some of the aria strongly resembled the music of Figaro, even though it wasn't music from that opera, and could have been safely inserted somewhere with the claim that it was a draft of a rejected aria. 'Early Mozart?" I thought. Perhaps an early Mozart opera I heard long ago but forgot. Maybe... Wrong. It was Salieri after all. Not bad, though - at least, for a snippet. Dave Morton

Mikhail Simkin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mozart test
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 05:06:37 PM »
There was an interesting discussion of this quiz on The Classical Music Guide Forum.

Anonymous

Mozart test
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:06:43 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I got 90%. Salieri is better than I thought, although I'd heard one of his pieces before and was lukewarm on it. I wavered on number 3 - the aria from a 1789 Salieri opera. I immediately thought "Salieri", but as the music progressed, noticed that some of the aria strongly resembled the music of Figaro, even though it wasn't music from that opera, and could have been safely inserted somewhere with the claim that it was a draft of a rejected aria. 'Early Mozart?" I thought. Perhaps an early Mozart opera I heard long ago but forgot. Maybe... Wrong. It was Salieri after all. Not bad, though - at least, for a snippet. Dave Morton

This is very true, when I listen to the soprano, its so much like Salieri! but as i heard the music more... it sounds like Mozart... i got that wronG! :cry:  shame onme.... but the piano concerto in c is so much liek salieri and non mozart.... hehe

artmeliana

Mozart or Salieri
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 08:35:09 AM »
I got 60%, even though Mozart was my first love.  If I hadn't vacillated so much on two of them, 7 and 10, I would have got them too.  It's tricky with such short clips; as someone earlier commented, we sometimes need to hear the structural development to differentiate the two composers.

I haven't heard much Salieri, and the only Mozart operas I've heard in their entirety are Le Nozze di Figaro and Die Zauberflote.  

Admittedly, Salieri sounds a lot like Mozart in his general sound but there is a little lugubriousness to his work.
The prize for technicality has to go to our Wolfi.  His frills and trills, signature pauses, and instrumental banter will always bring a spontaneous smile to our lips.

Anonymous

Mozart test
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
50% I got the opera ones, but not the instrumentals.

Salieri was crushed by his pupil Beethoven, not by Mozart.  Must be tough to come in 4th best after Hayden.

The real story is Beethoven, who hinted that Salieri murdered Mozart. Or left behind some scribble or other in one of his commonplace books. The point is that Beethoven chose to study (vocal composition) under Salieri. The person who probably knew the story best is the impresario, who's name I can not spell Schickineeder. What Schindler thought of Salieri is anyones guess. Since Schindler got the last word, we will leave it at that.

Anonymous

Mozart test
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
only got 70% ..Shame on me !
The only three wonrg were the ones i wasn't sure end up to be Salieri.
Lots of hints in the music

mp5

passing
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 08:07:11 PM »
8)  :oops:
i got 50% but will check out the conyemporaries... i wonder what van dyke thinks?

Phalkaline

I got 40%
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 10:43:32 PM »
Wow! I thought I could recognize the difference between Mozart and Salieri, but, having gotten 60% wrong, I see I need to listen to both more often.  I'd say I was a mountebank, but I don't recognize that word either!  Cheers!

Jon Bee

60%!!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »
At least I scored above random!  This pleases me as I know nothing from Mozart's work (or Salieri's) and little about music.  Honestly, I wouldn't expect to do much better distinguishing Vivaldi from Chopin!  (At least I know they're quite different, but say if someone played Vivaldi on a piano and Chopin on a harpsichord I'd probably be completely baffled.)

Midiogre

• View Profile
Mozart test
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 04:22:26 PM »
I played piano for years so I could recognize the more instrumental pieces for Mozart and ended up with 80%, having missed one for both Mozart and Salieri for the vocal pieces. I have to say though that I really enjoyed the Salieri pieces, especially the vocal stuff.

Flybane

Mozart test
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »
I didn't recognize any of the pieces but still got a 90% - better than I had thought at all.  I thought the one from Don Giovanni was Salieri though - I really ought to actually hear the thing for once.  Maybe I've heard the Mozart snips without realizing it in the past?  Consciously, though, I thought the Mozart clips seemed to have longer, smoother melodic phrases and he had a different style of bass sounds somehow.

elamont

Mozart test
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 08:23:57 AM »
I had a hard time recognizing some of the pieces. I got an 80% but I feel like I should have done better. Oh well. C'est la vie....
Erin
love spells
tarot readings

noll_jm

not bad
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 09:58:33 PM »
i got an 80%.  mozart has a more simplistic pulse that really makes you feel the emotion.

elamont

Mozart test
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 03:28:56 PM »
I suppose I did alright then! :)
Erin
love spells
tarot readings